Welcome to the Training Institute
Cork Counselling Services was founded in the early 1980s. It was one of the first centres in the country to provide a professional counselling service to members of the community regardless of financial means, religious beliefs, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or educational background. Out of this history Cork Counselling Services Training Institute was born.
“The aim of Cork Counselling Services Training Institute is to educate and train students so that they attain professional counselling standards reflecting best practice nationally and internationally. We aim to foster personal responsibility, ethical and social awareness and inclusive practice in our students. The Training Institiute aims to aid students in the development of this professionalism by mutually creating an active learning environment which is inclusive, supportive and constructively challenging”.
Ten Good Reasons To Train With Us
1. Over 25 years experience in training and one of the best training teams in Ireland.
2. Regularly audited by IACP and Coventry University to ensure top quality training.
3. The possibility to train for a new career while maintaining your current employment;
4. An option to bring your Diploma to Degree Level;
5. The facilitation of your counselling practice hours either at our busy city centre counselling practice or at approved venues in the south of Ireland;
6. State of the art training venues with privacy and comfort guaranteed
7. Tuition with trainers who are practising and working within recognised codes of ethics and professional practice;
8. A unique opportunity to reclaim joy, wonder and creativity in your life with space and attention given to fun and celebration;
9. Deliberately small group sizes allowing individual attention, group cohesion and the potential for building friendships
10. Extensive in-house library to all our students which is available to use.
Supervision, Train-the-trainer, Internships
If you are already qualified we offer supervision for counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists and supervisors. The Institute is also running a two-year Certificate programme for qualified counsellors who wish to become counselling trainers and a Postgraduate Internship for graduates working towards accreditation. For details on any of these programmes please contact us.
History of The Training Institute
Since its foundation Cork Counselling Services Training Institute has been providing professional training, supervision, and placements for third level students. Early training programmes included a two-year Certificate programme in basic counselling and communication skills, and a full-time internship. Cork Counselling Services Training Institute also delivered a series of seminars for a GP training scheme and Bachelor of Arts Degree in Applied Psychology. In the 1990s The Centre began to work with the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) and it developed its own Diploma programme. Our Diploma in Counselling was one of the first professional training courses to be recognised by the IACP in 1996.
Over time interest in our training programmes has flourished and The Training Institute expanded into the comprehensive range of courses in counselling that we offer today.
Other developments have seen the Institute design the format for practice hour placements so that students have the option of completing their practice hours by placement at Cork Counselling Services or at placements around the country. This has provided ease of access to students who travel long distances to training.